Ten poems from Negativity's Kiss

Alice Notley





CAST OF CHARACTERS

The Agent: The Agent, assigned vaguely by the government to tail Ines, the poet, has fallen in love with her.

Charl: Charlatan Gregory, media (the Garble) mogul who has targeted Ines in his papers, wants to be shot, have a near-death experience, and report on it in order to be admired.

Verball: A sort of failed thinker, now killer, he has hacked to pieces Harry preparatory to killing Ines.

Harry: Victim of Verball’s axe murder, now existing only in ghostlike pieces, she haunts Verball.

Orphée: Possibly passé folklike singer, tried to shoot Ines, is now saddled with Verball with whom he once had an affair.

C.S.: Younger poet, female, tried to shoot Ines, and is now preparing to shoot Charl.

Cop: Assigned to Ines’s case after first attempted murder of her, has been transformed into lucidmindedness by this association.

Ines: Verball’s ultimate victim, also the author of various poems promulgated and attacked via the Garble. She has the power of Eversion: she can turn you insideout -- that is, totally fuck you over -- with her words. She is also the tutelary deity to whom Harry prays.

_____________________________________________________________________




            



The President is more than the present
            moment, the President
personifies Any Asshole as we prefer him the
King of our Night
Repeated from ‘first moment when I saw him’
he is continuuity smoothing time, so I
            won’t break up into

pieces of freedom a doing what you want
            each
second’s hopeless choice.  The Agent thinks.
            I served him
in order to be in time, and
serve Ines to be out of it.  The glass men

gleam all around me but
I am supple, because I sigh.  I’m medieval
quiet histrionic artifacts of a soul.
The executive emotion, state stated:  states unified so
            you can be a citizen
I’m too old.  Everything I am --
            fealty as eroticism -- older

than this surface where the President’s heart
farts:  Man Get Fart
is the commandment of choice, via the
commercial God.  So
lend me my best subterfuge

I serve Ines.  Erect for poetry
because it’s more mysterious than
His Charlataned pronouncements 
My new name is in my mouth
Angel Agent, assigned to discover Her.

Sent out from unforecast illumination
            to wonder
How does she rest
silver amid the grimy turbulence, spectacle
both violent and asleep?

Or is she not silver but ebony in Xaos’
own untricked victory -- dark
            truth to touch
is the very she I love.


                        *


 Charl wants to be shot:  he wants it
            wants it wants it
he’s enacted no new thing, save further media
monopolies, for years.  Head FULL
of rampant desire which chases all
            fetid lingerings

of mechanical buyup of the language from his mind --
I need to be shot in
the heart -- could I survive a wounded heart?
I will provide a text of my near-death
            experience for my public --
though I own communication I
            haven’t yet written a book

will you admire me when I’ve suffered
physically and seen the diamond
of this god everyone has such fits about
god of Moses and Mohammed:  father of Jesus: the
            great big swoon

as then I’d rise.  When the world digital
            library is destroyed, I’ll 
have buried my own account -- in many copies --
deep in earth and sea.  In forms of book, scroll, tablet

as well as computer disk the newly
            primitive future may not
know what to do with.  But first

the bullet, the pain.  Should I advertise for my assassin?
No it just has to happen . . . Like
            falling in love.
No more goons around me, though:  I’ll
pretend I want access to the readers

guards down -- I’ll receive select visitors in my
            office -- how can I assure
being only wounded?  I’ll find a bulletproof vest that
            blunts but doesn’t stop
I’ll be shot, all right; I’ll have
            the experience
And if it’s my head? -- but it will be my heart
my heart’s certain of that.


                        *


Verball’s secreted in Orphée’s extra place
            But Harry
you’ve followed me -- Many not all of my fragments
            have
Some are praying for succour from a tutelary deity
Darling I need to be reunited -- How can
you love me? -- I have to:  you killed and 
            dismembered me

nobody knows me better than you do.
But I need a way out
of this love, I know that.  I am not
            Xaos, am I, for
I was once created.  And then says, Tutelary,  
Dance towards my pieces; gather me up . . .  

Until I’m whole much of me rests
with you, perfidious Verball.  For you’d
still prefer to kill Ines, wouldn’t you
And she is MY deity.  You can’t kill
            her before
she gathers me up

I think that’s correct, says Verball
We’d better render you
intact before I see to her.  Pray Harry pray
Get her to unify you
Orphée hates me being here talking to
            the air where

you are. -- And I had a lovely neck, Harry says,
and cobalt eyes, and NO
enemies, not even you.  Why was I alive
if I could be ended like a piece of equipment?
Why was I born whole so your sick blade

could take me down
There’s no god except the one who puts me
            together
and that’s not Jehovah who can’t do ANYTHING
phantom blowhard:  the

perfect model of a man -- Not me Harry --
You cut me to pieces like a jealous god
like a powerloving sonofabitch who
thought he was owed something
Maybe I don’t really love you.  But I can’t

leave your aura.  You’ve rent me stolen me made me
yours, you shit.


                        *


Orphée lights a candle -- to what?  I’m not
            certain, he
thinks.  Not to my old God he’d hate me
Verball says he’s killed a woman
speaks of cut limbs and bloody organs

He and I made love once, not a bad
thing though he’s icky now.  Filthy
            delusive atremble --
I’ll get a song out of this.  But first I
have to suffer -- I can do that. 

It’s all in your felonious, terrified
            mind/
heart.  I’ve been there.  You light a candle
to some powerful jackoff from down
            through the 
ages:  my own occult
internal Church of the Orphée Night

Oh please some god show compassion
Oh grant your principle singer some
            downstreaming light
I’m a suffering traitor in a quandary
            rack me

if you have to then show me the way.
The way?  That’s a cliché.  The beatific
way?  That’s not me.  I have gospel vertigo
dizzy for you lord -- whoever you are --

I feel that someone’s there -- but if it’s a 
            woman -- oh
No.  If I’m praying without knowing to a
cunt.  I don’t think like that.  I didn’t
use that word, God.  Or Goddess.  The
            words pop in --

I can’t let the papers connect me to
Verball.  God, or woman god -- Charl’s
            never gotten
through to me before -- I’m inviolate, aren’t I


                        *


I return to the rue des Pins resigned to
            hallucinate
Harry, trees, apocalypse, my own story --
whatever’s happening isn’t.  Take me
            into your
sanctity, Dream, and enact my understanding

Blue and midnight blueblack trumpet
flowers.  Eurynome’s
first creation from Xaos
the regeneration of night into fragility
            Now the frail with their

pollened tongues speak.  The pieces are
lost, say the voices, blown away
            cannot be gathered . . .

But Harry can’t be just sacrificial, I reply . . .

We don’t believe in myths; we’re voices
of the moment.  Tell her that she’s
            no more than
us -- Don’t say I’m nothing! Harry shouts
We’re all invoked, a voice says.
Grief duties paid, get rid of this concern for

your organs. -- I want my pieces! -- You
can’t have them.

Am I a failure as a spirit of place?  All the
spirits here are yelling at each other
We are chaotic, one says. Then:
            Harry, pull

yourself together without all your parts.
You’re just dead, come away with us
nothing bad will happen.  Dead’s
            just dead
Lost eyes.  A lot of smashed egrets, but no
regrets.  Harry screams

I don’t want it! -- You don’t know
what you want . . .
  
I think she’s going with them
I stand trembling on the sidewalk . . .
shadow trees everywhere, smoke and teary drops
I think that I must be in danger. 


                        *


C.S. dreams -- she hasn’t dreamed for
            a long time --
that a black-gummed flower
a dark, mouthed blossom 
            is talking to her

Once you were a silly little shit
Now you’re being sucked towards la
            vrai nuit
you had NO -- aucune -- réalité -- always on
            the surface
tinted highlights.  You contributed a
            fraction of permanence --
a syllable or word -- to the Big Tablet
Two decades of remembering to wash your
            pantyhose . . .

It is essentially a world where no one
experiences her own form . . . See yourself
            NOW
C.S. views herself:  she looks exactly
like the blue-black flower but pained

with closed black weeping eyes
slit into the top petals . . . I
don’t understand what the affect
            of this 
is, she thinks, in the dream.  Beyond parody
            and my own

dismemberment -- my doctrinairely
            fractured
self . . . Has there always been torment
Who is the tormented --
pulled down into the earth by my
            flower roots which

betray me -- I didn’t ask to be a flower
or a person.  And I, it was I
            who didn’t ask

C.S. awakens sobbing.  I didn’t even ask


                        *


The cancellation of Harry’s presence
            in Verball’s
life -- winds howl and she leaves -- is
            ambiguous
She leaves ghosts of her ghost, traces
            of pieces, mute

but tangible, at least to Verball.  Or is
            this his
“mind” -- he thinks the quote marks -- coming
apart -- is there a mind apart from
            pieces -- Quo usque tandem
abutere, Inessential -- patientia nostra?
            He cries out:  I

don’t remember Latin!  Is ambiguous.
You’re all so fucking ambiguous!  Ghosts all --
have no power, all people, pieces, omens.
Numbers sparkling on every damned
            branch.  What trees?

A furor and torment that you have
            divested yourself of
me -- Gone but with the
remnants of my faculties -- 

Harry you were too embedded -- Pulled
            up by the
racines my brain -- nation my own
mental territoire, now you’ve left it’s
            bombed and ruined

What are the pleasures of disintegration
            my love?
Is this my “mind”? It was myself my all my 
            world, the city
of inside, collapsed and mutilated
Who has acted -- consciousness?  With your
apple cheeks, pommettes, your dumb ideas

Protect me from ideas . . . But kill the
inessential . . . I only know traitors . . .
Explicators everywhere.  Except for you

Harry, simple victim, who have ruined ME!
Oh Harry thou has robbed me of my youth --
for I wasn’t old.  Now I’m insane


                        *


Cop and Agent huddle over coffees
Does it matter who shoots who? Cop asks
As long as there are weapons, all victims
            are random
The occult ground of being doesn’t care does it?
Our international metropolis
peopled by insects like ourselves

has phony agendas to cover the hairy
            asses of those who think for us, but
no one’s in charge! and we’re 
importuned by nothing but stories
does the most harm, does the least
            it’s all violent
Defend what?

I’ll defend Ines, Agent says, I have to. 

She doesn’t need any help; she
caused everything, by causing us to have
a point of view, 
            Cop replies.  No one else is
thinking.  If only we’re thinking

our actions’ futility’s preordained.
I’m possessed the Agent says, I can only
            be this way

as if I were the poet.  One can select
a few things to witness, at a
            time, I
saw this, this, I must have loved it, don’t
want it to die -- I’ve killed, haven’t you?

It makes no sense to have to say that,
            Cop says
Doesn’t matter what we say, Agent says, But
now I can only speak from one impulse
a light or electric field.  I’ve never been
afraid to die -- my training.  My definition

My revered genius, species of the
            moon.
A pure planet.  Not afraid of symbols
Ivory trustee of the memory
            of my ecstasy.
I’m the last ecstatic, flying between intellect
            and soul
neoplatonic noncommercial daily inride


                        *


Cop’s Superiors summon him to the
            glass 
ceiling -- Are you protecting her too much
Ines l’hérétique, the woman
who must be cancelled -- Why? --  We
think motives are apocryphal.  First you

knee-jerk do it, it’s in the body:  right action.
Didn’t we train you for that? that’s beautiful
She’s just a woman, by definition disposable;
Then we can miss her:  that’s beautiful
            Who needs
her?

Cop feigns agreement and leaves:  But, Really
you’ve no idea you’re not thinking.  You
            go to War for
this or that reason but really you just
            go to war:
you make money so you can make more

ditto fuck so you can fuck again.  My Superiors
dream of equalizing your words, he tells Ines,
with a piece -- the worst thing you can do
is say something, not shoot or get shot -- My former

wound is what I know best, Ines
says, Scar in head.  It’s like a burning ruby
it’s how I think.  I think, That spring is dead
            forever
except as a lie; that violence speaks, not
voices; that reason’s mine and it’s very

red and incisive:  made, or cut from a
natural stone.  Civilizations begin in
chaos, learn to define a reasonable
            course later,
scream their demise into the dust:  if every civilization
on this globe now goes down, at the same
            time, that

will be novel (who’ll be left to appreciate this
            novelty?). I seem to be
saying I’m rational, a pointless condition:
            do you agree?  Is
this our stasis, rationality?  I still want to
help.  That’s not rational.  A lost ethic, can’t work.
            Chaos

comes for you, like for Harry.  But, says Cop,
so does Verball.


                        *


The agent presents
            himself to me
one day in a cafe, crowded --  I want you to
 
know I watch you for you, not them.
Why do you care? I ask.  I need belief, he says.  I
believe, I say, in what happens, though
several realities are happening in me as I sit here
cup in palms.  I believe that

there is no right action, because there’s
no general will to act rightly -- that is,
I believe this apparent civilization --
            what we agree on
as its facade -- is fucked and there’s nothing I
            can do.

Then why do you play the just woman
why don’t you find something hedonistic
to do?  kindergarten money or power, sex
            in the public
orchid.  That’s repulsive, I say
A life of smeary mirrors.  I’d rather provoke
            apoplexy

in the righteous -- though it’s kind of like
sticking insects lightly with needles to make
            them scurry

The mirrors, he says, may reflect light
            rather than
shallow selves.  The mirrors themselves may
            be light
it may all be illusory -- the wars, the political
lies I’ve served.  And when we wake up dead it’s not
there. . . Why did Harry have to

suffer? I ask.  Why did it hurt when you were shot?
            he says.  Harry
asked why she was born, but why
            were you born,
Ines?  We were each born destined, I say. 
Not by a theocratic force, but

something tugs at my actions, 
            always
I believe in Fate








_____________________________________________________________________
Constellation: Alice Notley
[#] Birkbeck Centre for Poetics
[#] Openned Video Constellation of Readings
[#] Return to “Intercapillary Space” Notley Contents page

            

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

  • Twitter
  • Intercapillary Places (Events Series)
  • Publication Series
  • Newsreader Feed